Improving Student Competencies
The majority of students at Takoda Prep have transferred in with either low academic scores, or have been significantly behind in credits. Our school’s goal is to quickly help all students advance to higher math and reading levels in preparation for graduation. From 2010 froward, 25% or more of Takoda Prep students improved their reading levels dramatically within one year – sometimes moving from 4th or 5th grade levels up to 11th or 12th grade levels. The school also offers challenging independent studies and advanced courses in English and Math.
Takoda Prep has specialized in working with all types of students – irrespective of their academic histories. This school was made especially for those students who are ready to make a positive change in their life and begin anew by getting to work towards earning their High School Diploma.
Beyond high school
Takoda Prep offers students the opportunity to connect with options after high school. The school partners with Achieve Minneapolis to research colleges, education programs, and scholarships for students. Takoda Prep also participates in several college visits and welcomes speakers from a variety of colleges, training schools, professional organizations, military branches, etc. to expose students to a wide array of post-secondary options.
About Takoda Prep
Takoda Prep is an accredited alternative high school under contract with the Minneapolis Public School district (MPS Special District #1). Takoda Prep focuses on helping all students make advancements in reading, writing and mathematics, while maintaining a strong connection to American Indian culture. The school features a unique, small class environment that allows students to receive more individualized instruction as well as additional support from the learning community of which they will be a part of once enrolled. Students can also maintain a connection to their home school for extracurricular activities such as prom, athletics, and graduation ceremonies.
At Takoda Prep students can:
- Work toward earning their high school diploma from Minneapolis Public Schools
- Earn additional credits beyond their daily schedules through extra course work
- Juniors and seniors can earn college credits through PSEO (Post-Secondary enrollment options) by enrolling in either college courses or vocational/job training courses. These credits also serve towards high school diploma credits.
- Attend class in the morning and work in the afternoon
Getting started check list
- Students must be 14 to 21 years of age (9th – 12th grade only)
- Meet with staff and complete all required paperwork for enrollment
- Provide transcripts (these can be obtained via the MPS student placement center)
- Special education students need to provide their IEP (Individual Education Plan) records two weeks prior to enrollment. IEPs can be obtained from the last school of attendance
In response to the Coronavirus pandemic, 2020-2021 Takoda Prep classes will likely be presented in a combination of distance learning and on-campus instruction. Follow this link to review the district’s Distance Learning Plan.
Christy Irrgang, Education Director
Are you interested in enrolling at Takoda Prep? Complete the form below and one of our staff members will be in touch.